Monday, May 2, 2011

Birth Certificates and the Death of bin Laden: My Two Cents

Disclaimer: This is my opinion. I appreciate feedback and having a discussion, even with those who disagree with me, but I do NOT appreciate attacking anyone for their opinions.

The other day when I found out that President Obama released a copy of his long form birth certificate, my first thought was "What the entire f*ck?!" The fact that the President of the United States felt the need to prove to a bunch of racist scumbags that he was born in Hawaii is unsettling to me.

First of all, with all the checks and balances in this country, anyone who believes he could have gotten past all of them during the primary, campaign, the general election and two years and almost two and a half years of his presidency without him being found out is an idiot. If Obama was really born in Kenya, Hilary Clinton would have come to the first debate, dropped the evidence on the ground and crip walked onto the 2008 ballot.

Secondly, Donald Trump taking credit for "forcing" the POTUS to release the birth certificate makes me want to throw up all over my keyboard. Donald, you are a joke. Nobody believes you will make it onto the ballot. If the leaders of the GOP are smart at all, they will not endorse you. And then, this guy says he wants to see the birth certificate himself...I wanted to throw chairs, flip tables and kick people in their shins. Donald, "who the hell are you?" Who died and made you the authority on whether or not something is legit? Nobody trusts your judgment. You thought that piece of roadkill on your head was a good look. You're living proof that money can't buy class.

I'm gonna go ahead and "play the race card." This whole birth certificate nonsense is racism. The birthers want to do anything to discredit Barack Obama's presidency because he's a black man. Back in the 1800s, we were property and 3/5ths of a person. Blacks were not supposed to succeed to the presidency. In 2008, we turned the game on its side, and now they want to rectify the situation. And also, Barack Obama's educational past is being called into question. There's no doubt the man is brilliant, but yet, there are people out there who believe he was not worthy of getting into Columbia or Harvard, so now they want him to release his transcripts. People never cease to amaze me.

Osama bin Laden's Death
Last night, I was studying for finals with Tweet Deck up in the background. All of I sudden, my timeline started moving ridiculously fast and I stopped it to see what was going on. Everyone was saying that Osama bin Laden had been killed, and my heart started beating a mile a minute. I turned on CNN, and sure enough, he had been killed and the nation was awaiting a speech from the president.

My first feeling was relief. Bin Laden was the figurehead of Al-Qaeda, the group who masterminded and carried out 9/11. I was ten years old when it happened and in my sixth grade English class when I heard about it. Those of us who were old enough to know what was going on will never forget where we were when we heard the news. The same way older people will never forget where they were when JFK was assassinated or when Dr. King was assassinated. 9/11 was a defining moment of our generation.

After the initial relief, I felt excited. Then immediately, I felt guilty. Despite the terrible tragedy that occurred on September 11, 2001, how could I call myself a Christian, or even a decent person as I sit here and celebrate the death of another human being? I'm very conflicted over this. Also, I'm a little afraid. The death of Osama bin Laden does not mean the end of Al-Qaeda. The only thing I can do is pray there will be no retaliation.

My address to the twitter "conscious" and "radicals" about your questions after the death was announced:

No, gas prices are not about to drop. Bin Laden does not own all the oil, if he owned any.

No, the troops are not coming home, like tomorrow. First of all, you can't just withdraw troops all at once. Secondly, we've made so many enemies in this so-called "War on Terror," that bin Laden wasnt even the central point. Former President Bush made that clear to us years ago.

That's my opinion. Comment. Or not. Whatevs.

No comments:

Post a Comment