Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Religion Rant

Yesterday, I was bored in class, so I decided to log onto twitter on my phone. I happened to get online in the middle of some big, fat, atheism rant that a couple of my followers were engaging in.

I believe in people having the right to practice whatever religion they choose or not to practice one at all. I grew up in the COGIC (Church of God in Christ) church and though I'm not saved, I'm definitely a believer. However, my logic when dealing with people of other faiths is "Don't try to convert me & I won't try to convert you." Period.

Don't get me wrong. I am all for having a conversation about religion, but there's a difference between talking about it civilly and being downright disrespectful. The majority of the time, these conversations get to the point of disrespect. It's one thing to reject certain viewpoints and ideas and it's another thing to insult someone for what they believe in.

I'll never understand why people who claim to be atheists spend so much time and energy researching and trying to convince other people to change their views. I've had classes where there were students who literally tried to convince the entire class why God isn't real. And the majority of the time, it had nothing to do with the overall point of the class period.

Another thing I don't get: If you don't believe in God, why do you spend so much time talking about and researching reasons behind why God is not real? If you've already established that with yourself, why spend the majority of your time talking about something you don't believe in? You will never see me on google finding information on unicorns, vampires and black privilege. Why? Because they don't exist. It would be a waste of my time, so I leave it alone.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't have conversations on religion, because I feel like understanding and respecting each other's faiths are an important part of accepting them and each other. My point is, respect is very important in having a conversation like this. The sooner a lot of us realize that, the better.


#Nowplaying Lady Antebellum - Need You Now

No comments:

Post a Comment