Thursday, May 13, 2010

Alicia Keys' Unthinkable video and Interracial Relationships



Okay.

I’m sure you’ve been living under a rock if you haven’t heard Alicia Keys’ Unthinkable from her The Element of Freedom album. My roommates played it in their car one day back in April, and I’ve been pretty much hooked ever since. I think I like it so much because it describes how I felt going after a guy I liked (who is now my boyfriend by the way). We were I friends for a long time and I wasn’t too keen on the long distance relationship thing, but since he wasn’t going to take that step and try to take it to that next level, then I was going to have to do it.

But I digress.

I was on Twitter (@HighQuality08) the other night, and people were talking about Alicia Keys’ video to the song and how they felt that it’s topic of interracial dating didn’t fit with the song. I wasn’t near a computer at the time and I was tired, so I didn’t watch it until the next day.

I personally feel like the video takes away from the song…well, my personal interpretation anyway. I don’t think that interracial dating was the way to get the point of the song across. If Alicia wanted to tackle an issue, I think same-sex marriage would have been the way to go.

It’s 2010. Interracial dating isn’t as controversial as it has been in the past. Where I’m from, seeing an interracial couple is just as common as seeing a couple that are both from the same ethnic background. A lot of people have a problem with the interracial dating (and interracial marriage) issue, but let’s face it, everyone isn’t going to like it. However, it’s common, it’s accepted for the most part, and most importantly, it’s legal. (Though it wasn’t always. See: Loving v. Virginia case of the U.S. Supreme Court in 1967.)

I subscribe to the theory that there’s someone out there for everyone. I believe that the man God put on Earth specifically for me is an African American. I’m a black woman and black men are what I’m attracted to (even though Robin Thicke is delicious). But just because that’s my preference doesn’t mean that someone else’s preference has to be for someone of the same race as them.

I don’t have a problem with interracial relationships. I’m not going to lie, I tend to give a severe side eye (o_O) when I see a black man with a white woman. But I don’t know their story. So it might be wrong of me, but I’m only human. My problem isn’t with black men choosing a white woman (or any other nationality) over another black woman. My issue is black men who choose NOT to date black women because “black women are (insert random over-generalized stereotype here).”

For real though?

*Blank Stare*

So, you mean to tell me that you’ve surveyed EVERY black woman on the planet and we’re ALL too emasculating? We’re ALL too dominating? We’re ALL too ghetto? We’re ALL too independent? We’re ALL gold diggers? We’re ALL cheaters? We’re ALL uneducated? We’re ALL sluts?

Oh, okay. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

This is the time where you leave comments and give me feedback. Did you see Alicia Keys’ Unthinkable video? What did you think about the topic of interracial dating as presented in the video? How do you feel about interracial dating period? Do you know any men or women (black or otherwise) that put down the opposite sex of their own race to justify dating outside their race?

#nowplaying Alicia Keys - Unthinkable

No comments:

Post a Comment