Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A Lesson From Huey Freeman

Happy Hump Day everyone!

I’ll be leaving for Atlanta tonight around midnight and I’m not sure if I’m going to have access to the internet or not, so I figured I’d write and post this post before I leave.

Today’s post is going to be a lesson from Huey Freeman from The Boondocks. This clip is from the second episode from season 1 back when The Boondocks was still the best kept secret on television “The Trial of R.Kelly.”

You can fast forward to 1:27 and stop at 2:16


How is this relevant to my life?
I’m glad you asked.

I can’t even count how many times I’ve been creeping surfing Facebook, and I see someone’s status talking about “Free my homeboy!” “Free my baby daddy!” “Free my cuz!”

Me: *blank stare*

Oh, and let’s not forget the number of times #freeweezy has been in the top trending topics on Twitter. I personally don’t understand it. Like Huey said, a lot of people are set up for crimes, wrongly convicted or put behind bars for something ridiculous that was blown way out of proportion. However, the majority of people are behind bars because—get this—they committed a crime!

GASP!!!
*surprised face*

Lil’ Wayne went to jail for the illegal possession of a firearm. Something serious. But yet, millions of people want him released because they like his music. So you mean to tell me that the number of records you’ve sold or your position on the Billboard charts should be reason enough for your crimes to be excused and swept under the rug so you can be free to commit more crimes?

As for people posting on Facebook for people to be released from jail when they obviously have every reason to be there…I don’t even have anything to say. It’s stupid. We live in a time where violence and criminal activity is glorified. So many people want the money, cars and clothes no Drake but they want it not now, but RIGHT now and they’ll do anything to get it. Then when it comes times to pay the consequences for their actions, everyone wants them “freed” and then they’re back on the streets doing the same thing they got in trouble for in the first place.

For the people posting these statuses and tweets: do you realize that nobody is going to “free” Weezy, Gucci or anybody else just because you post a status or tweet about it. You’re wasting your time. If you really care about them as much as you claim to and it’s not all for show, hold them down, write them letters, go visit them, but posting “free [insert name here]” on your status every day, is not showing support.

For the fools people that keep #freeweezy on the the tt board, #unfollowme.

#nowplaying Gym Class Heroes – Viva La White Girl

P.S.: Do you think I’m really going to spend my hard earned Giant Eagle check money on this? #cmonson

No comments:

Post a Comment